It’s had me so puzzled – am I a process or project knitter?
For years I’ve heard the terms tossed about and people confidently proclaiming to be one or the other and it’s always confused me. Which am I? Do I love the process, the act of knitting, the repetitive motion of knitting one stitch after another, the challenge of working out a pattern and creating row after row? Or, do I knit to make a thing, a project? Is finishing the objective? Do I get more pleasure from wearing my knits than knitting them? Is the knitting part a means to an end?
I really didn’t know.
I think my indecisiveness to plant a foot firmly in one camp over the other is because I am truly a bit of both. Is there such a person you ask? Well, there is now. It’s me.
I thought about some of the things that seem to indicate someone is a process knitter and some of the things that might suggest someone is a project knitter and decided that I get a kick from them all. Here are some I came up with:
- love pouring through their stash, spending hours at their LYS or hunting online for yarn
- happily scroll through pages and pages of pattern ideas
- feel irrationally excited stumbling across a new technique
- turn the house upside down just to find the “perfect needles”
- find huge pleasure in matching their project bags to their knitting
- ritualise the act of casting on. Perfect tea, comfy spot, no distractions … you get the picture …
- are polywipomous (lots of projects on the go)
- frequently find unfinished wips behind the sofa, in cupboards or under the bed
- spend a lot of time holding their knitting out and admiring it
- feel a deep urge, at least once a day, to “just knit a couple of rows”
- visibly relax when they pick up their knitting, perhaps even sighing contentedly just a little
- frequently say “I’ll just finish this row” (this may be completely irrelevant but I definitely do this)
- are a little impulsive and may not always swatch …
- knit with determination and knit everywhere and anywhere
- are monogamous knitters and feel overwhelmed with more than a couple of projects on the go
- get a thrill from learning to knit faster
- hunt for the next project on Ravelry and plan which new pattern to cast on before their last one is finished
- often look at their stash and say things like “life is too short!”
- finish or frog
- panic at the thought of yarn chicken
- are irrationally excited by casting off the last stitch
- get a HUGE amount of pleasure from wearing their knits
I’m sure there are more and I’m sure there’s a huge overlap! Can you think of any others?
Which are you? Process or project knitter? Or, like me, are you a bit of both?
Ensure you’re signed up to the Truly Myrtle Minimag to stay in touch and get discounts on new pattern releases.
We’d love to see you in the Truly Myrtle Hangout on Facebook!