I may have been heard saying “roll on winter” after taking these photos. Of course I didn’t really mean it, the summer is glorious – but I’m so thrilled that my cardigan is ready to wear and I know I’m going to live in it when the cold weather does eventually arrive.
Epistropy is a lovely pattern and I love how mine has worked out but I think the overwhelmingly great thing about my particular cardigan is the perfect marriage of yarn and pattern. They were made for each other.
You’ll remember I used Outlaw Yarn’s Vanitas DK? My initial impression was spot on. I’m pleased to say that it’s soft, warm and delicious to wear. The halo of the alpaca gives it a rather ethereal look and the colour work knitted up beautifully. I think it’ll settle into place even better over time.
The pattern was good too. Of course I made nearly every mistake possible – but it was my rushing that was the cause of that rather than the pattern. It was well written and straightforward to follow. I really liked how the designer (Kate Davies) numbers each section in big bold text. It makes it easy to find your place again.
The steeking wasn’t too bad after all, once I got going. Did you catch it on Instagram? I made a little video when I cut it up the middle. I may have held my breath!
The only thing I wasn’t overly keen on was stitching on the ribbon to hide/secure the cut edge. I was worried that I’d bunch up the stitches and pucker the knitting. Fortunately that didn’t happen, although it’ll be interesting to see if the back of the cardigan droops over time in comparison to the front.
It was a bit fiddly getting the ribbon flat, even and the same on both sides. I found it it easier to stitch on the ribbon when I laid my cardigan on the carpet and crouched down. The carpet held it in place so that it didn’t wriggle around and everything stayed nice and flat. A very sharp needle helps slide through the ribbon too. To make the two sides the same length I lay the finished side next to the second side and tried to match them up. I used the tiniest stitches I could. Be prepared for the stitching to take quite a while!
If I was to make one change I think I’d add a couple of inches to the sleeves. They just fit at the length suggested but I’ve realised that I tend to pull the top of the my sleeve up a bit and they could really manage being a bit longer.
I think the whole sleeve length issue is one of the downsides of knitting sleeves bottom up rather than top down. I toyed with the idea of adding a bit more length before I joined the yoke but decided not to after measuring my arms a bunch of times and deciding that it’d likely work ok at the length suggested by the designer. Now I’m done, I can’t easily go back and add length.
I’m making an effort to update my Ravelry projects page this year. I’ve a few things that I haven’t put up yet. So, starting as I mean to go on, my Ravelry page for my Epistrophy cardigan is here.
P.S. You’ve made me so happy with all your lovely comments and messages about my first podcast! Thank you so much! I was so nervous about showing you but your encouragement has made me really look forward to recording the next one. I loved hearing about the WIPs you’ve got hidden away and I’m so glad I managed to make a few of you feel better about your piles of half-finished projects! X
P.P.S. If you fancy joining in a very casual Pomme de Pin cardigan KAL, come and find us on Instagram by searching the tag #pommedepinkal. You’re welcome to join in whether you’re just starting a brand new project or have a half-finished cardigan tucked away.
Ensure you’re signed up to the Truly Myrtle Minimag to stay in touch and get discounts on new pattern releases.
We’d love to see you in the Truly Myrtle Hangout on Facebook!