Did you hear a loud and desperate scream of frustration yesterday? That was me. Breaking ANOTHER twin needle. My last twin needle.
I am at a loss to explain why it keeps happening. I’ve hunted all over the internet for advice on using twin needles, I sent a desperate message out on Twitter seeking twin needle tips – but I’m still none the wiser.
This was my situation: sewing stretch knit fabric, “unbranded” walking foot (read “cheap”), 4mm twin needle (too expensive to continue purchasing for random breakages) … And that’s it. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. At least, I don’t think so.
Do you have any tips you could share with me? A font of information you could point me too? Pleeeeeease!
In the meantime, I’ll tell you about my top for Outfit 4.
I started with white cotton stretch knit fabric and a pot of “peach” cold water dye powder … which ended up being tipped all over the kitchen by a certain 3 year old … but we won’t talk about that … And, after the tiniest 1/8th of a teaspoon of dye my fabric was a pale, but very pink, pink. Not quite what I was after. So, I boiled it in a pot of darjeeling tea. (Darjeeling because that’s what we had. Mr Myrtle and I are weak tea aficionados). And, aside from quite a few blotchy browny tea bits that I’ve mostly managed to cut around, the pink was stained with a yellow hue and ended up the perfect shade of marled mushroom I was after. I just hope it doesn’t all wash out in a couple of washes ….
I’ve used the Craftsy t-shirt pattern again, from the fab course “Sewing with Knits”. This time I cut it a little looser and with a much higher neckline. Once I’d sewed the shoulder seams I popped it over my head to mark out the neckline I wanted. Something shallow and wide-ish. I cut it a little bit bigger because I then sewed on a neckband that folded inwards and took it to the actual depth and width I was after. I’m really pleased with my narrow neckband.
I did intend to sew a double row of stitches around the neck with my twin needle. One line of stitches inside the band and one outside … but my “twin needle disaster” happened when I was perfecting the stitch length on a practice piece of fabric. After much huffing and puffing I decided that I’d plough on with just a single row of stitching. It’s not so bad. I used an elongated zig zag stitch that will stretch when the top goes over my head, but looks almost straight. If I decide to give up twin needles, I’ll use this stitch again.
My cuffs are false. I mean, I folded the sleeve up and over on itself and whipped around the fold with my overlocker. When it’s unfolded and ironed flat, it ends up looking like a cuff. I think it’s very pyjama-ry.
You’ll see I top stitched with my single line of stitches around the cuff, and at the bottom of my curved hem too.
And, because there are only so many interesting photos of a long sleeved pyjama top that you can take … here’s one more of the very pretty wind chime that I was given last year. It’s made from recycled glass bottles and it makes such a pretty tinkle in the breeze.
Right, back to my slippers. One down, one to go.
Ensure you’re signed up to the Truly Myrtle Minimag to stay in touch and get discounts on new pattern releases.
We’d love to see you in the Truly Myrtle Hangout on Facebook!